The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes September as National Mold Awareness Month. This month is designed to inform, educate and raise awareness about the adverse health effects due to exposure to indoor molds. As you can imagine, this topic is near and dear to our hearts!
Excess moisture in the air promotes the growth of mold and mildew. Mold and mildew have been found to be the cause of numerous health-associated problems including asthma and allergic reactions, especially in seniors with compromised health conditions.
Mold needs four things in order to grow: organic matter for food, moisture, warmth, and oxygen. The easiest to control out of all of these is moisture due to excess humidity.
What is the best way to control indoor moisture and prevent mold growth in a senior living facility?
Lowering the AC temperature in order to try and remove moisture in the air is the most common practice and results in having senior residents withstand freezing temperatures in their own living space.
By maintaining a healthy humidity level of around 55% by using the Ultra-Aire MD33 In-Wall Dehumidifier, healthy air and comfort can be attained.
Why would a dehumidifier be the best solution to alleviate moisture and combat mold growth?
A dehumidifier controls the moisture to safe levels. By removing excess moisture, the MD33 helps to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, resulting in a healthier indoor living environment.
Ultra-Aire recently released a case study featuring a senior living facility that was experiencing mold and comfort complaints. The case study discusses how designing mechanical systems for senior housing is a challenge and why the Ultra-Aire MD33 in-wall dehumidifier is the optimal solution. Click on the photo below to read the case study.